Saturday, June 22, 2013

Hyperbole: Another trick stolen shamelessly from Shakespeare


"You tell Mother and the entire universe," Noura said, "that everyone I meet is a hallucination, but what does that make you?" 
My eyes at the moment of the apparitions by August Natterer, a German artist who created many drawings of his hallucinations.

Above, a representative sentence from yesterday's 504 words on my novel JIHADI. A character in my story sometimes indulges in  hyperbole.

According to the glossary of literary terms, hyperbole is "a grossly exaggerated description or statement."

While researching this post, I recalled that hyperbole is one of Shakespeare's favorite tricks, and one well worth stealing. (I steal as many of his tricks as I can.) In MUCH ADO ABOUT NOTHING, Shakespeare makes Beatrice say of Benedick: "He is sooner caught than the pestilence and the taker runs presently mad." 

You can read the current chapter excerpt from my novel JIHADI by clicking here if you want a longer look.

Every day, every day, every day I write the book.

Hello again to all you writers and readers and thinkers I admire:  +L. T. Dalin 
+Elizabeth Einspanier +Ksenia Anske +Brandi Mazesticeon +C.M. Albert +Adella Wright +Brian Meeks +Paul Kater +Puddin' Tang +Paul Dinas +Kim K +lynn paden +Adrianna Joleigh +Becky Flade +Douglas Karlson +Madison Dusome +Claudette Anne Pearson +C.M. Skiera +Eustacia Tan +David Eccles +Mary Cain +Duncan Ellis +Becky Flade +kat Folland +N. Dionisio +James Mayes +Nina MJ  +Vladimir Nabokov  +Gavin Cruickshank +N. M. Scuri  +Ann Smyth +Christina Vani  +Ellis Bell  . I am using this blog to lift the curtain on my favorite new sentence of the writing day. The fact that I have committed to do this in front of all of you makes me less likely to get dodgy about my word count totals, which need to average 600 a day if I am to hit my complete draft target date. No comment or critique is requested, but knowing this is out there to you as a Monday through Friday commitment makes a difference in terms of my own integrity. Of course, if you don't want to be in on this, just let me know.