Wednesday, January 22, 2014

J. D. Salinger on AMERICAN MASTERS

Watched this mesmerizing broadcast last night, and I cannot describe how powerful it was for me. I'm not going to try to summarize it here, but I will say that there are practical implications to J. D. Salinger's astonishing life story that no writer of serious fiction will want to overlook.

I suppose the headline that everyone, including me, has been waiting for is that the Salinger trust is preparing to release a great deal of substantial, important fiction he finished before his death in 2010, but chose not to release. (The last piece Salinger published was in 1965.) This is a little like saying Moby Dick has been sighted in a large local swimming pool.

There is much more to this documentary than that, however. I do hope it wins an Emmy.