Sunday, February 23, 2014

Eight Writing Commandments

I've started work on the new novel FREED, which is going to focus on two peoples exiled in their own land, the San Franciscan Counterculturalists and the Palestinians. Feels very strange, but also a little liberating, to be wandering new terrain. But I had to, otherwise I would be running afoul of the Eight Writing Commandments below, composed by Ajay Ohri.

Now that I've sent backup files of +JIHADI (novel by Brandon Toropov) off to +Richard Gibney and +Adella Wright while Elite Eyeballs peruse it, I had to move on.  (It was time to stop tweaking anyway.) In keeping with 4) below, I had to start on something new. Either microfiction or the new book. Having done a few microfiction pieces already, I jumped in on the new Big Novel. 1100 words in, who knows how many of them I'll end up using.

 
 
 
If you're a writer, you could do worse than to review these eight principles daily and make a personal commitment live up to them. I got at least one book done that way.
 
No, I'm not ready to post anything from FREED yet. The excerpt from my finished novel JIHADI can be found here.