Saturday, February 15, 2014

Yes, I really do have this #CaptainAmerica comic book

It figures prominently in my novel JIHADI. I remember reading it in early 1969. Reordered it, via eBay, in 2012 as a writing prompt for the novel. A dear friend restored.

Interesting to see all the Captain America merchandising in full swing now. The list of (Marvel, not DC) fixations I invested pocket money in back in the mid-to-late Sixties and early Seventies would include: Cap (he's just "Cap" if you're really into him), Spider-Man, Iron Man, The Avengers, The Fantastic Four, The Silver Surfer, The Hulk, The X-Men, Captain Marvel, Thor, Dr. Strange, and the Black Panther. And two attempts at self-parody which I loved, Not Brand Ecch and Spoof, both of which vanished despite my patronage.

That was all hot stuff, back in the day. Nice to see some of it coming around again.