Sunday, April 13, 2014

The Second Novel, #FREED (#amwriting)

This morning, at a moment when I found myself in desperate need of distraction, +Bill Morrison weighed in with feedback on the first chapter of my new novel FREED. Over the last week or so, I've been rewriting this piece in intermittent OCD mode, trying not to obsess over ABNA.

Here's what Bill had to say about the first of the novel's anticipated forty-five chapters. I've been working on this chapter for about three months.


I loved the chapter and give you no advice at all... The transition into the plot, where you give very specific details about the experience of the lady with the twin was a great piece of pure narration, like a Shakespearean character turning to the audience and explaining the setup ... There is an American literary tradition that, in my humble opinion, comes from Damon Runyon and runs through to Vonnegut, where the hero has a very strong anti-hero voice that comes across both in how they speak and in their internal monologue. This chapter reads like that: full of character detail, then a shock of plot. Can't wait for the book.


I swear I am not paying this guy. But if I were, I would have told him to compare me to Vonnegut. 


Thank you, Bill! On to Chapter Two. Cue the writing music playlist. Regular readers of this space can guess who leads it.





If you're interested in beta-reading my second novel FREED, drop me a line.


If you'd like to read an excerpt from my first novel JIHADI: A LOVE STORY, click here.