Tuesday, March 8, 2016

Yes, I'm a man. Yes, I'm a Muslim. Yes, I am a feminist. #InternationalWomensDay

Islamic feminism is the global expression of feminism that concerns itself with the role of women in Islam.

Islamic feminists, male and female, work for gender equality, women's rights, and social justice in an Islamic context. The belief that the prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him, was unconcerned with the rights of women is a persistent urban legend Islamic feminists aim to uproot.



My novel JIHADI: A LOVE STORY is a feminist novel, and I'm grateful to Allah to have been able to write it. I'm grateful for the response it has received. And I'm grateful to have strong women readers note the strong women characters in the book. For more on why this is a feminist novel, see this post.

Muslim men not only can be feminists. It is now vitally important that they announce themselves as such, publicly. So that's what I'm doing.