Thursday, April 21, 2016

Cause in the matter

To take a stand that you are cause in the matter contrasts with it being your fault, or that you failed, or that you are to blame, or even that you did it. That you are the cause of everything in your life is a place to stand from which to view and deal with life – a place that exists solely as a matter of your choice. The stand that one is cause in the matter is a declaration, not an assertion of fact. It simply says, 'you can count on me (and I can count on you) to look at and deal with life from the perspective of my being cause in the matter.' When you have taken the stand (declared) that you are cause in the matter of your life it means that you give up the right to assign cause to the circumstances, or to others. That is, you give up the right to be a victim. You also give up the right to assign cause to the waxing and waning of your state of mind – all of which, while undoubtedly soothing, leave you helpless (at the effect of). At the same time, taking this stand does not prevent you from holding others responsible.” --Werner Erhard



(Footnote from YT -- the FINANCIAL TIMES just ran the first interview with Werner in I don't know how many years, and it was a disappointment: a rehash of decades-old backbiting nonsense, a hack job,  a real lost opportunity. I'm posting the material above because the FINANCIAL TIMES piece made me angry. Which took me out of being cause in the matter. I made everything the writer's fault, thinking to myself that she had a chance to share insights from one of the really great thinkers of our time, and she blew it by circulating old news and old rumors and it was all her issue and she was X, Y, and Z ... and then I came across this quote and concluded that if I wanted the insights from Werner's world that had made a difference to me out in the world, I could damn well share them, and so here is one of them. These words are, for me, a light in the dark.)